I really do not like to exercise. Even though I know the benefits, I still struggle with the motivation to take that first step and get out there. I can find almost every excuse not to go. Take for example today. It is Saturday and it is normally the one day I sleep in and relax most of the day. Who needs to go outside?. Plus both my shoulder and knee have been hurting lately. However, I received some gentle motivation from my bride and decided to go out. Even though it was a beautiful day and I was enjoying myself, I got tired and was tempted to cut the walk short a few times. However, I decided to keep taking that next step until we finished the goal we set for ourselves we ended up walking for almost one hour (3.25 miles). Small steps, small victory, but going in the right direction. Tomorrow it will be another battle.
To win with your finances you have to decide to take steps in the right direction every day. The challenge may seem insurmountable but if you don’t take the next step, you will never succeed. Abraham Lincoln said the following: “Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.” So you have to keep at it, one day at a time, one step at a time. So where do you need to take that first step?
- A Written Plan for your Money: Do you have a working budget? You can start today. It is simple and it can be done. You have to take that first step to prepare your first budget. Now, it will take you about 3 months to get your budget working. But you have to do it every month, before the month begins. It won’t be perfect at first but if you stay with it, you can have a monthly budget that works and adds muscle to your money.
- Savings: You know you always wanted to save. But you have not taken that first step. Set an initial goal to finish that “baby emergency fund” of $500 or $1,000. Start your savings with your next pay check.
- Getting Out of Debt: So you might have a large amount of consumer debt. But if you decide to do it, you can pay it off. Start with the smallest one and go from there.
- Insurance: Are your insurance needs covered? Do you know all the types of insurance you need? Why not start today and take that first step today to evaluate what’s required for you and your family?
- Your Will: Statistics don’t lie. Everyone of us has an expiration date and we will pass away some day. Have you decided what will happen with your assets? You should not leave your family to deal with that while they are grieving over you. Love them well. Take that step to prepare.
Probably none of these steps sound like fun. But like physical exercise, they are beneficial. Hopefully I have given you some gentle encouragement. Get out there and take that first step. It is a beautiful day to start.
“Whoever is slothful will not roast his game, but the diligent man will get precious wealth.”
Proverbs 12:27 (ESV)